Thursday, December 11, 2008

Memory Box

The description to follow is for just one style of a memory box.
Clicking on the picture will enlarge to see details.
Well it seems this feature isn't working! sorry they won't enlarge.

Memory boxes are used for so many kinds of memories.
To hold the first rose...or tickets of that memorable date...a box with the family crest...or a bible box with any meaningful passage stained on the lid....or the ashes of a loved one.

This box houses the ashes of a loved one. [This is a sealed box]
My client is gifting her siblings with a box, made of 1 inch bevels and the solder is decorated ( a process that uses the heat of the iron to move the solder into a design) The final picture of the decorated solder doesn't show very well...so you will just have to see it in person.

Step one gather the materials and build the basic box.
Then everything gets cleaned up and the inside is acid washed. Then cleaned well again and the ashes are added.
I am getting the hang of this picture adding thing. This shows the tops sealed. (ashes receive a sealed box.) Boxes may also be made with a hinged top. Not this time.



Then the finished box decorated and polished. No picture I take shows the details well. This cube can be hung by the added loop. In a window or any space where you want to share your memory.


Memories deserve a special place to be kept. A beautiful glass box is a sparkly place to keep your special memory.
Thank you for your interest in the description of the concept and process.

10 comments:

Lady North said...

Ah so true..a nice sparkly safe place to keep special things!
It looks wonderful and how I wish I was the lucky recipient!
THank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving your a footprint on my creative beach!
Blessings..LN

Anne said...

Hi, Mary! Thanks for sharing your memory boxes with us! What a great idea!

Dianne said...

They are beautiful you are the Queen of glass my dear...

sallyt said...

These look awesome, Mary. You've just gotta go back and replace the pictures with larger sizes. Inquiring minds wanta see! LOL. BTW, your cabinet doors are AWESOME!! You ARE the glass queen. I want to come to your learning center!

Thanks for stopping by my blog to meet me. It's great to know you.
Sallyt

Altered Route said...

Your boxes are a wonderful idea...I can think of alot of different things to enclose to make neat memory boxes! I sure enjoy seeing parts of your workshop too.
Connie

Anne said...

Hi, Mary! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog to help me celebrate my 100th blog post! Wishing you and yours a fun, fabulous holiday season filled with warmth and laughter! :-)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Mary,

Thank you for leaving such a nice comment on my blog regarding my piano hinge book tutorial. Your glass work is amazing.

You are really gifted. Your glass work and art journal pages are simply stunning. I would love to add your blog to my blog.

Elizabeth

Mescrap said...

This is cool !!
Ooh ... there are so cute !
Such a wonderful box to keep the memory.

Linda Vincent said...

Mary, these are gorgeous! I'd love to see them in closer detail. Could you post another photo in a bigger size? I've found that if I don't move the photo around at all in the post then it can be clicked on.
Love
Linda xx

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh these are cool! I haven't tried soldering boxes yet, not sure I'd know where to start... Love your barn! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Marva