Wednesday, November 10, 2010

AEDM day 10

Began taking this panel apart, it will become 2 windows that look just like this just half that and you get the idea

someone used zinc when building this unit...a sign that the technician wasn't knowledgeable about what he was doing
the zinc was more expensive to use than lead
pulled lead had it been used would have made taking this apart today a lot easier...alas i did have years on my side
the brittleness of the zinc allowed for the piece to practically fall apart in my hand

especially with a pair of nippers


here the unit is all apart off the tray
the tray stored out of the way to return to the owner
area cleaned up and the pieces soaking





here the pieces are soaking





the next step is to true up the edges they were pretty chopped up where the builder was making them fit into the narrow zinc i suppose...and dirt etched from years of being a window unit in a house
i cleaned all the grime off and the next step of grinding the untrued edges begins

using an electric grinder
when i learned the only thing available was a
grinding stone!!!
i liked the new technology that invented the electric grinder









then here are the cleaned up pieces being laid out

to rebuild into the 2 new windows...

and that is my art filled day number 9...
i also began the next painting for lesson 8..i have my elements affixed to the canvas and they are drying...
painting tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anne Gaal said...

Hi, Mary! I can NOT imagine having to use a grinding stone and go by hand, now that I've tried an electric grinder. Sooooo easy! Love it! Pretty beveled glass pieces! :-)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

OK, I know I've been busy, but I can't believe I've missed SO much! I am so sorry I missed this when you first posted it. I now feel I can breathe a bit and visit, since most of my obligations are out of the way and Bleubeard is on the mend. The details of how you removed the lead and cleaned the glass are wonderful. I felt like I was right there with you. And I'm so glad to read you clean up as you go. Now I'm off to see what else I have missed this past week or so.