Tuesday, May 21, 2019

New Hope Chapel in Platte, SD

Let me catch you up to speed on the time line for this project.
Way back in October Miss Pat came into the gallery and visited with me about a project she wanted seen through and if I was interested in helping her bring it to life.

Windows for a Chapel being built at the New Hope Christian Camp and Retreat Center.
We discussed the subject matter, Jesus with the Children and how many children she wanted represented.
I did a few examples and she made her decision for Christ and surrounding him 2 boys.  One boy is a bit older in his teens.  The second boy a bit younger and 2 young girls.  One girls a bit younger than the youngest boy and then the youngest girl.

We found out that the window would not be one piece but be comprised of 4 panels making up the one unit.
It was here I explained that the divisions for the 4 panels, while they divided the unit, is seen as a whole by the minds brain.
I know this concept is a little difficult to understand.

It is here I am introduced to the committee for the New Hope Camp.  With the permission of Miss Pat, we came to terms about how they wished the unit for the chapel to represent the children they will be mentoring.
After all these particulars are discussed and come to relative agreement!

November 2, 2018
this project is initiated!



The director for New Hope met me at the Chapel and he gave me the window dimensions and I discussed the sun strength for the direction this unit will face, West.  West windows have strong sun.  This is something that I, as the designer and executor of the construction, need made aware.  So, when I am selecting glass I choose glass that will not wash out.

December 5, 2018
Miss Pat signed the contract, lets roll!



During the winter I accompany Craig to Texas and it is there I worked on patterns.
In April we returned, and I finalized the glass choices and placed that order.
May 18th they arrived at the store.  Thank you to Erin Reiser for delivering them!
And to Reiser Lumber for accepting the freight.
They are 2 doors down from the gallery so this made getting this shipment to me so lovely.
Right to the back door!
Making un-crating a breeze!!!

However, back on May 6th, I meet the director for New Hope at the chapel to trace off the arches for this project.  (each arch even manufactured, are slightly different)
I discover he had given me incorrect measurements.
So I needed to re-design the design to meet the new requirements.  Some of the original design needed to be eliminated to bring forward just the people, to work with in the new smaller amount of window space, so we get a huge impact of the inspiration of Christ with the Children.


The New Patterns
they sit side by side and will have a Cross made to fit over the unit.


No comments: